Getting Data In

Can I splunk ClearCase for source code change monitoring?

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Wondering if anyone has ever integrated ClearCase with Splunk yet. Does ClearCase provide text logs on disk or maybe an API that can be leveraged via Scripted Inputs to pull in ClearCase change events (or maybe even actual source code) so I can splunk it?

0 Karma

dcroteau
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

ClearCase has an abundant CLI (cleartool). This can help you extract version control information. just looking to adhoc search source code? Then GREP is still your best tool....seems silly to index source code into splunk.

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/ClearcaseCommands.html

Here is a list of CPAN Mod(s) you could use, but cleartool is what you need

http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/ClearCase-Tools

0 Karma

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks!

Yes you are correct in that if you can get the change control info from cleartool, then there's no need to splunk the source code directly.

However, if I was using Splunk to index app logs from production and I wanted to correlate live error events with the source code in ClearCase in order to figure out who created the module that just publicly stacktraced all over the place and notify them that they need to fix it asap, then I could see where that could be of valid use case.

0 Karma

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Actually more interested in splunking the source code, if anything.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...