I have an app with an inputs.conf that has a stanza for [WinEventLog://Microsoft-Security-Logs] to an index and uses TCPROUTING to make sure the events go to the correct indexer.
I have a group that runs their own splunk environment and wants their data sent to their own index/indexers, but I still need it as well. I would like to create a second app with another [WinEventLog://Microsoft-Security-Logs] stanza that sends the same information to their servers as well.
I don't see any facility for having two of the same inputs.conf stanzas, even in two different apps. It seems like the configurations are merged and the last variable read takes precedence.
You should be able to create another tcp group in outputs.conf and then add that group to your TCPROUTING setting in your inputs.
It sounds like you already have a tcpout group created for your indexers. So just create another for the other splunk environment. The TCPROUTING setting in inputs.conf accepts a comma-delimited list of those groups, so just add that new group to the list. At that point, the eventlog data should get routed to both groups/environments.
If the other environment needs it in a different index, then they should be able to update their props.conf to set the right index before indexing on their side.
server = [<ip>|<servername>]:<port>, [<ip>|<servername>]:<port>, ...
* Required if indexerDiscovery is not set.
* Takes a comma separated list of one or more systems to send data to over a
* Typically used to specify receiving splunk systems, although it can be
used to send data to non-splunk systems (see sendCookedData setting).
* For each mentioned system, the following are required:
* IP or servername where one or system is listening.
* Port on which syslog server is listening.
_TCP_ROUTING = <tcpout_group_name>,<tcpout_group_name>,<tcpout_group_name>, ...
* Comma-separated list of tcpout group names.
* Using this, you can selectively forward the data to specific indexer(s).
* Specify the tcpout group the forwarder should use when forwarding the data.
The tcpout group names are defined in outputs.conf with
* Defaults to groups specified in "defaultGroup" in [tcpout] stanza in
* To forward data to all tcpout group names that have been defined in
outputs.conf, set to '*' (asterisk).
* To forward data from the "_internal" index, _TCP_ROUTING must explicitly be
set to either "*" or a specific splunktcp target group.