Getting Data In

Can I edit inputs.conf to initiate a global blacklist so it applies to all monitored data?

anaqvi
Explorer

How can i globally blacklist (.gz ) or rotational file logs (log.1, log.2, log.3 etc..) in the inputs.conf , so it applies to all monitors?

Please assist.

somesoni2
Revered Legend

There is a [default] available in inputs.conf where you can define your global attributes. These can be overridden at individual input level.

0 Karma

todd_r_martin21
Explorer

I am struggling to get a global blacklist to function. I read the documentation and have the following on my inputs.conf file. I am still getting .gz files located in subdirectories of most of my monitor paths. for example in path /syslogs/routers/cisco/ciscolog.gz

[default]
host = syslogserver

[blacklist://syslogs/*\.gz$]    ## should this be a Triple or double Whack?

[monitor://syslogs/routers]
    index = routers
    sourcetype = syslog
    source = //syslogs/routers

I also am noticing that a /// ( triple whack) and a // ( double whack) both are present in different monitor stanza's. both work !
for example:
[monitor://syslogs/routers]
and
[monitor:///syslogs/oss]

Thanks,
Todd

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

[blacklist:/syslogs/.../*\.gz] 
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...