Getting Data In

CSV field extraction on a deployed app

virtualpony
Path Finder

I have a app that is deployed on a host that polls a csv file. I can get data in to the Splunk indexer, but it does not recognize the fields as described in the transforms.conf file located in the apps default directory. Here is what I have.

C:\Program
Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\vievents\default

inputs.conf
[monitor://E:\Logs\vcenter\vievents.csv]
disabled = false
sourcetype = vievents_csv

props.conf
[vievents_csv]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TRANSFORMS-vievents = vievents_extractions

transforms.conf
[vievents_extractions]
DELIMS=","
FIELDS="CreatedTime","Key","ChainId","EventType","UserName","Datacenter","ComputeResource","Host","Vm","Ds","Net","Dvs","FullFormattedMessage"

How do I get splunk to recognize the fields? Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

virtualpony
Path Finder

Issue solved. Replaced TRANSFORMS-vievents with REPORT-vievents. Reboot splunkd.

Also needed to rename some field names as they overlap with existing splunk fields: EventType, Host

View solution in original post

virtualpony
Path Finder

Issue solved. Replaced TRANSFORMS-vievents with REPORT-vievents. Reboot splunkd.

Also needed to rename some field names as they overlap with existing splunk fields: EventType, Host

virtualpony
Path Finder

well I initially included them in the app directory on the forwarded host, but I also copied them to the indexers system local directory. Rebooted, but no difference.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

So, do you have these props.conf / transforms.conf settings on the indexer? Or just the host that the data is read from?

0 Karma

virtualpony
Path Finder

Here you go. I just modified some text for privacy, but otherwise structure is the same. Some of the characters like colons and slashes get stripped.

"4/27/2012 1:37:45 PM","71642","71638","VmMacAssignedEvent","IIGCF\lus3","USLAB1","Management","uslab1esxi05.domain.com","FreeBSD",,,,"New MAC address (00:50:56:99:77:90) assigned to adapter c3 88 19 50 5c f5 fa 1a-51 58 6c b7 84 16 7a 90 for FreeBSD"

0 Karma

dbryan
Path Finder

Could you post an example row from the raw data?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...