Getting Data In

CSV Headers are listing as events and not extracting into interesting fields .

guru865
Path Finder

CSV Headers are listing as events and not extracting into interesting fields . This is the props.conf I'm using

Header ex: xys ,queue, monitor, tags, like this 20 header feilds .

props.conf am using :

[ csv ]
CHARSET=UTF-8
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=csv
KV_MODE=none
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
category=Structured
description=Comma-separated value format. Set header and other settings in "Delimited Settings"
disabled=false
pulldown_type=true
HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER=1

Please help me in fixing the props.conf . In case if i need to try using transforms.conf , suggest the transforms settings .

Thanks
Guru.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this (removed spaces from stanza header, upper-cased some settings, removed others)

[csv]
CHARSET=UTF-8
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=CSV
description=Comma-separated value format. Set header and other settings in "Delimited Settings"
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS=LIST,YOUR,FIELDS,HERE

Put this on your FORWARDER (NOT ON YOUR INDEXERS) and restart splunkd there. This will only effect events forwarded AFTER the restart (old events will stay broken).

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this (removed spaces from stanza header, upper-cased some settings, removed others)

[csv]
CHARSET=UTF-8
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=CSV
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS=LIST,YOUR,FIELDS,HERE

Put this on your FORWARDER (NOT ON YOUR INDEXERS) and restart splunkd there. This will only effect events forwarded AFTER the restart (old events will stay broken).

guru865
Path Finder

Thanks Woodcock.
I have universal forwarder on server end from where the logs are sent to the splunk instance(standalone) . Since UF are not full splunk instance , doesn't have capabilities to data parse . I'm trying to do index time field extractions .

I'm making changes props.conf changes on my indexer.

regards,
Guru.

0 Karma

guru865
Path Finder

Hi Woodcock ,

Thanks for your guidance .

The previous props.conf setup at every forwarder node enabled header field extraction .

But now i see Header fields extracted into interesting Fields along with same header field listed as events along with the other events(rows) . I'm monitoring 4 identical csv files with similar header fields in it .

ex : Intresting fields > header " xyz" > values - mlm, mlx , mlr , xyz.

I have to query xyz!=xyz to remove them from the events .Plz suggest to remove the header fields form the events .

Thanks In Advance .
GURU.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is this for events that are newly indexed after the change, or for the ones indexed before that?

0 Karma

guru865
Path Finder

DalJeanis ,

I see this happen with newly indexed data after the header field extraction .Plz let me know if you need any further info

Thanks

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I suspect that what you are seeing is the old/bad events, merged with the new/correct ones. You can hide the old events with a search like this:

Your Search That Shows Headers Or Other Broken Events | delete
0 Karma

guru865
Path Finder

Hi Woodcock,

Thanks you .

the rolling data comes from a shared drive from 10 different hosts which are acting as deployment clients , which has same identical data with same headers for each file.
I see that headers are being indexed from all the hosts and see equal number of events count as rows. ex : header event count : 70 , row events - 70 .

my inputs is like below :

monitor path : ///m3/logs/csv_*.log
sourcetype=jkj
index=kjkj
crcSalt=

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I am a bit lost. Perhaps you would be best served by starting over with a new question.

0 Karma

guru865
Path Finder

Thanks Woodcock. Sure .

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You do not understand; the INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS function ONLY works on the forwarding node. You MUST put it there; it will do nothing anywhere else.

You have to put this on every Forwarder and then restart all splunk instances there; read about this caveat here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/Data/Extractfieldsfromfileheadersatindextime#Caveats

Just try it.

0 Karma

guru865
Path Finder

Thanks alot Woodcock . It works now .

Appreciate your answers .

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...