Getting Data In

CRCSALT = SOURCE but still getting error "File will not be read".

tb5821
Communicator

I have my inputs.conf setup like so:

[monitor:///var/log/java]
disabled = 0
index = myindex
sourcetype = metrics_csv
whitelist = metrics.*.csv
CRCSALT = <SOURCE>

But even though each filename is UNIQUE with a timestamp, etc, I still get the error that the "File will not be read"! Thoughts?

ERROR TailReader - File will not be read, is too small to match seekptr checksum ().  Last time we saw this initcrc, filename was different.  You may wish to use larger initCrcLen for this sourcetype, or a CRC salt on this source.
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

CRCSALT should be crcSalt.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

CRCSALT should be crcSalt.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

tb5821
Communicator

thanks - how do I confirm this is actually working though? I still see the same message in the logs

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You'll have to cycle the forwarder after correcting the typo.
Afterwards you can verify with tstats.
e.g.

|tstats count where index=myindex by source
----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did this resolve your issue? If so, please accept @richgalloway 's answer so that it can benefit others in the future.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

jaihingorani
Path Finder

Hi @codebuilder  @richgalloway 

ran into this issue all of a sudden, i am using the same crcSalt=<SOURCE> parameter in my inputs.conf stanza, however its still throwing the same error "File will not be read, is too small to match seekptr checksum (file=<path to file>). Last time we saw this initcrc, filename was different. You may wish to use larger initCrcLen for this sourcetype, or a CRC salt on this source. Consult the documentation or file a support case online at http://www.splunk.com/page/submit_issue for more info. 

the same inputs stanza has been pushed to another UF, where the logs are flowing fine for the same path. Is there something still missing ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...