Getting Data In

CMD Command Line Logging

splunktrainingu
Communicator

I was following this guide on adding command line logging to my GPO. I verified that the current GPO has these settings. 

1. You must enable the Audit Process Creation audit policy so that 4688 events are generated. You can enable this audit policy from the following Group Policy Object (GPO) container: Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Advanced Audit Policy Configuration\System Audit Policies\Detailed Tracking.
  2. You must enable the Include command line in process creation events GPO setting. You can find this setting in the following GPO container: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Audit Process Creation. Alternatively, you can enable this setting in the local system registry by setting the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Audit\
    ProcessCreationIncludeCmdLine_Enabled registry key value to 1.

Here is what I did to test, I simply created a directory, deleted it, also ran ipconfig, net share and was unable to find those commands expect for ipconfig in the logs.  Is there anything else I need to do maybe in the input.conf file? 

EDIT: Seems like mkdir and rmdir do not show up in the logs but all others do. Does anyone know why?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As far as I know and experienced enabling cmd line logging. You need to make changes in only group policy.

once you are done with you are good to go. You don’t need to make any changes in inputs.conf

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

splunktrainingu
Communicator

Yeah I was confusing powershell logging with cmd. They are both turned on through the GPO but it seems like I need to go into inputs.conf for powershell logging and make a stanza.

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As far as I know and experienced enabling cmd line logging. You need to make changes in only group policy.

once you are done with you are good to go. You don’t need to make any changes in inputs.conf

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...