Getting Data In

Bro Logs: How can I remove fields that an analyst accidentally created, and how do I fix a parsing error?

nb1030

I have an analyst that was playing around trying to extract a new field. Unfortunately, he used the delimiter function and instead of backing out of it, he saved it. So on top of the normal fields being parsed out, I have over 60 fields called field1, field2, field3, etc. How can I go about removing these? Also, a second part to this question, I have bro_http logs coming in and the contain a "version" field. This field is not being parsed out, instead, everything being parsed out has shifted to the left by one field (i.e. instead of version being 1.1, the version is showing the user_agent information, which should be in the user_agent field one field to the right)? What file can I update to ensure it is parsing out the version?

0 Karma

hardikJsheth
Motivator

The user has done search time extraction and you need too remove it. You can delete unwanted configuration from props.conf files and transforms.conf file . It will be inside the local folder of the app where user was performing extraction.

0 Karma

nb1030

I was able to find the correct transforms.conf file and fixed my parsing issue. I am still having a difficult time finding the props.conf file to remove the search time extraction. He did it from the search&reporting app. When I look under the search app, the props.conf file only shows EXTRACT-fields = (?i)^(?:[^ ] ){2}(?:[+-]\d+ )?(?P[^ ])\s+(?P[^ ]+) - (?P.+)....Is this what I should be removing? If so, when I commented out the line, it did not get rid of the fields.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...