Getting Data In

Are "_meta"-entries still supported in inputs.conf?

mikaeln
Engager

I've configured inputs.conf on a universal forwarder with

[monitor:///somefile.log]

_meta = testkey::testvalue

[monitor:///anotherfile.log]

_meta = testkey::testvalue

[monitor:///yetanotherfile.log]

_meta = testkey::anothervalue

and added an entry to fields.conf on the indexer:

[testkey]

INDEXED=true

This works perfectly fine (I can use the testkey field in searches) , but the forwarder complains of a "possible typo", and I can find no reference to the "_meta" notation in the current documentation. Is this an "undocumented feature" that may disappear? Is there an alternative way to mark events for a monitored file with no other dependencies or side effects? (I'd like to keep the standard use of the source, sourcetype, and host fields, independent of the "categorization" that I implement with _meta).

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The procedure in inputs.conf still works.

remarks :
- the "_meta" field was triggering a typo warning because it was not in the inputs.spec, this is fixed now.
- for modular inputs (wineventlog by example), for splunk 6.* and 6.1., the _meta fields were not passed to the indexes. This is fixed since 6.2.
- in order to make the meta fields searchable. they have to be added to the fields.conf on the search-head.
-

Rob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I believe that the documented procedure to write to the meta file using a transforms to do so is here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Configureindex-timefieldextraction

While it may be undocumented to use the _meta field in the inputs.conf file on a forwarder, this is currently still a valid method for adding metadata to your fields. Take a look at the following answer post: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/1453/how-do-i-add-metadata-to-events-coming-from-a-splunk-forw... as it mentions this method as well.

So you may want to move the _meta field from the forwarders inputs.conf file to the transforms.conf file on the indexer. This might be easier to maintain in the future as well.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...