Getting Data In

Any way to monitor excessive write activity to a server?

SplunkLunk
Path Finder

Greetings,

Is there any way to query Splunk to see if host disk drives have excessive write activity vs. read activity?  Trying to monitor for Ransomware infections.  Lots of write activity might indicate files being encrypted/modified.

I am a consumer of our Splunk environment so I don't have the ability to change the environment and I only have access to indexes for which my hosts reside.  For example I don't have access to the _internal index.  Thanks for any help.

Labels (4)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are logging disk read/write activity (not everyone does) then you should be able to query for excessive writes.  Such data would not be in the internal index, but I have no way of knowing where it is in your environment.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

SplunkLunk
Path Finder

Do you know what a search like that would look like?  I can check and see if those types of events show in the indexes my servers are forwarding to.  Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...