Getting Data In

An hour of Latency when large amount of data is dumped into a file. How to avoid/reduce latency in this case. Details are below.

iparitosh
Path Finder

What else can I do in order to reduce the latency in indexing for below case-

Facing large latency in indexing events for a brief period of time, every day.

I have a single source file, which logs about 0.5 Mb of data per 5 minutes. However, the same source file adds about 5000 MB data within a span of 15 minutes, only once per day.

The issue occurs due to splunk forwarder is not being able to process all 5000 MB of data within 15 minutes. I am observing few queue blocks Warning and our parsing queue is clogged (Filled greater than 90%) for almost an hour.

What have I tried already?

• Increased thruhput from 256KBps to 1024 KBps.

This did help a little bit but still facing large latency issue. Meanwhile my throughput is maxed out during the duration of this issue. Not sure how much more can I increase this limit.

• Added two pipelines to process events on forwarder.

This does not help as each sourcefile can be processed with a single pipeline only. A source does not load balance between multiple pipelines when processing events.

I have collected few time charts into dashboard to troubleshoot it further, attached below is the same.

About time charts in below image -

Timechart 1: Latency in events
Timechart 2: Sum of Size of events { len(_raw) }
Timechart 3: Sum of Size of events by _indextime instead of _time (Shows the size of events that were indexed during a period)
Timechart 4: Queue Fill Percentage
Timechart 5: Queue blocked count per 5 minutes
Timechart 6: Pipeline processors CPU Usage
Timechart 7: Throughput (KBps)

alt text

0 Karma

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unless you have a reason to throttle your forwarder, you may want to set maxKBps=0 (unlimited).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...