Getting Data In

After upgrading to Splunk 5, hostname field is incorrectly extracted

awaite_youzee
Explorer

Hello,

I've been running Splunk 4 for about 2 years now, and I've been feeding it using syslog-ng to aggregate and filter incoming logs from remote hosts. This worked wonderfully, as long as we used the "keep_hostname(yes)" option in syslog-ng.

Now that I've upgraded to Splunk 5, Splunk appears to be setting the hostname field in search to the hostname of the log aggregator, not the original host. So now I've got 3 sets of timestamps, 2 hostnames in the log message itself, and an incorrect host field extraction.

How can I get Splunk to properly handle relayed syslog data, and properly extract the fields from the logs?

1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What is your sourcetype?
by default the syslog sourcetype extract the host from the events.

awaite_youzee
Explorer

yes, I set the sourcetype to be "syslog", but it's extracting the hostname of the log aggregator, not the hostname of the source of the log message.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...