Getting Data In

After upgrade to Splunk 6.4.0 from 6.3.1, why is UDP:514 data being indexed in main and not the syslog index?

srunyon

I just updated to 6.4.0 from 6.3.1. Data is being received on UDP:514 from my firewalls. This data was indexed as syslog, but is now going into main. I have the \etc\apps\search\local\inputs.conf configured with:

[udp://514]
connection_host = ip
index = syslog
sourcetype = syslog

Is there any other location that I need to configure to get this data into the syslog index?

Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

masonmorales
Influencer

Can you verify that there isn't another udp://514 input configured that could have higher precedence? Use splunk cmd btool inputs list --debug from CLI to check.

View solution in original post

masonmorales
Influencer

Can you verify that there isn't another udp://514 input configured that could have higher precedence? Use splunk cmd btool inputs list --debug from CLI to check.

srunyon

On the chance that I missed something, I did the btool on udp:514 (instead of upd://514), I found a TA that had that in the inputs.conf, added index=syslog. My data is now being indexed as syslog.

Thanks for the pointer!!

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Glad to hear it!

0 Karma

srunyon

Using the btool, there are no other inputs.conf that contain the udp://514 stanza. I also verified that outputs, props and transforms do not have it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...