Getting Data In

Why is thawed data not working correctly or missing after restoring frozen data?

hagjos43
Contributor

In a test environment (two indexers, one SH, one cluster master/deployment server) I froze any data that was older than half a day.
Indexes.conf:

[endor]
repFactor = auto
homePath   = $SPLUNK_DB\endor\db
coldPath   = $SPLUNK_DB\endor\colddb
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB\endor\thaweddb
maxWarmDBCount = 2
maxDataSize = auto_high_volume
frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 43200
coldToFrozenDir = $SPLUNK_HOME\Archive\endor

Then I used the rebuild method on both indexers following directions here: docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.1/Indexer/Restorearchiveddata

The rebuild did not restore all of the data and only allows me to search back to December 17th, prior to the frozen bucket configuration the data went back to April 2014ish.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you're "thawing" data older than frozenTimePeriodInSecs, it will probably go right back into the frozen directory.

Try creating a new index with defaults and only thaw your previous index into it's thawed directory.

With your original setup, you might find more frozen buckets in $SPLUNK_HOME\Archive\endor (your coldToFrozenDir) as soon as you drop them in thawed and run the rebuild command.

Added after acceptance:
Just to make it clear... hagjos was thawing data back into the same index it was frozen out of. So when he did this, the new thawed data was being detected as older than frozenTimePeriodInSecs and dropping right out of splunk into the frozen directory again.

By creating a new index and thawing into it, he circumvented the immediate freezing of his old data because his new index has a default frozenTimePeriodInSecs of 6 years.

View solution in original post

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have to drop into thawed, then rebuild the buckets, then restart splunk on each indexer.

It can often be done with a simple for loop in shell.

I don’t understand why that process didn’t work for the operator, but I don’t accept the answer I gave in 2015 and believe that was wrong.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you're "thawing" data older than frozenTimePeriodInSecs, it will probably go right back into the frozen directory.

Try creating a new index with defaults and only thaw your previous index into it's thawed directory.

With your original setup, you might find more frozen buckets in $SPLUNK_HOME\Archive\endor (your coldToFrozenDir) as soon as you drop them in thawed and run the rebuild command.

Added after acceptance:
Just to make it clear... hagjos was thawing data back into the same index it was frozen out of. So when he did this, the new thawed data was being detected as older than frozenTimePeriodInSecs and dropping right out of splunk into the frozen directory again.

By creating a new index and thawing into it, he circumvented the immediate freezing of his old data because his new index has a default frozenTimePeriodInSecs of 6 years.

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Honestly after rereading and thought I'm thinking if you drop into thawed, it doesn't get moved to frozen, it stays in thawed.  Not sure how this answer worked.

splunkreal
Motivator

Hello, you are right, if you put files in thawed it does return to frozen, you have to delete manually.

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

hagjos43
Contributor

I placed the data(buckets) from the frozen directory into thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB\endor\thaweddb then ran the rebuild, shouldn't that have worked? or do I need to still create a new index?

0 Karma

hagjos43
Contributor

I followed your instructions and created a new index and it worked perfectly.

Thank you!

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for accepting the answer.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...