Splunk Dev

logs are going to catch all index

hemantwcp7
Loves-to-Learn Lots

We have configured the panorama management logs on syslog server correctly. While checking the pan logs on core search head logs are going to catch all index. Please suggest here for correct configuration to fix the issue.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The catch-all index is used when the input does not specify an index.  Double-check indexes.conf on the syslog server and make sure every monitor stanza has a index= setting.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Or if they are supposed to go to a non-existant index (for example, specified when supplying event via HEC) if I remember correctly.

0 Karma

hemantwcp7
Loves-to-Learn Lots

@richgalloway , I checked the available indexes.conf but i did not found  monitor stanza section. Can you please specify the file location on linux OS ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not specifically.  The files will be in directories under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc.  Use btool or the Linux find command to locate them (yes, it's most likely there will be more than one).

splunk btool --debug inputs list
find $SPLUNK_HOME/etc -name inputs.conf
---
0 Karma

hemantwcp7
Loves-to-Learn Lots

@richgalloway, On syslog server we have custom .conf file in syslog-ng directory where all palo alto logs coming on udp_port(10527) , tcp_port(10527) . In this file only i added the new pan source. Rest all pan sources from this conf are correctly landing to proper index on Splunk cloud except one new pan source.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you using any kind of an intermediate syslog layer? (This syslog-ng you're speaking of)

Does it change/manipulate the events in any way? (For example I have in one of my environments heavily complicated rsyslog-based solution that in the end supplies events to splunk via HEC).

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you're using a UF to get the data from the syslog server to Splunk then .conf file should be somewhere in /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/ rather than in a syslog-ng directory.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...