Splunk Dev

Why am I unable to pass field values as arguments for my custom search command?

wandrilleD
Engager

Hello,

I recently created a custom search command allowing me to output results of a search directly to hdfs via webhdfs.

After some time trying to figure out the Python SDK, I've finally managed to achieve my purpose.

My command work as follow:

[splunk search] | outputhdfs [path/to/hdfs/] [fileName] [fields_to_export] [separator]

What I'd like to do is to pass a field value, such as a date or something, as my fileName, but it doesn't seem to work

like when i do :

[splunk_search] |eval datePart = strftime(s_cnxTime,"%Y%m%d") | outputhdfs path="/tmp/outputhdfs/" file=datePart fields="KeyID, ConnexionTime, Suspect, Time_Transfert" separator="#"

it creates a file named datePart at the specified path.

If you have any ideas 😉

Regards,
Wandrille

0 Karma

rdagan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Although, I am not sure why your command is not working, I was wandering why not just use the Splunk Supported App - hadoop connect - to Export search results into HDFS?
Here is the link to the function in hadoop connect that seems to do the same as outputhdfs : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/HadoopConnect/1.2.3/DeployHadoopConnect/ExporttoHDFS

0 Karma

wandrilleD
Engager

The command works, we didn't use the export from hadoop connect because we needed a custom command anyway, the question here only concerns the problem to pass a date as an argument of the custom command.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...