Splunk Dev

Where should I create custom app. on search head or app server (indexer) ?

patelmc
Explorer

I am not using deployment server in our environment yet. I have non-clustered search head and three indexers. If I want to create custom app where should I create it. on search head server or app server (indexer)?

I have same setup in A side (primary) and B side (standby). Both active - active.
A side - one search head and three app servers (indexers).
B side - one search head and three app servers (indexers).

I know this will consume double license but that's the requirement.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

nareshinsvu
Builder

Recommendation is to restrict apps/dashboards to search heads.
And leave indexers to only receive data from forwarders and store indexes.

If you can read your index data from search heads, dashboards/apps can be created only at the search layer.

Users should be restricted to only search heads where your dashboards reside. This way, the indexed data would be safe/untouched at the indexer layer.

0 Karma

patelmc
Explorer

Thanks for the link which is very helpful. However, it does not provide answer I was looking for,
If I create new app or dashboard, whether I should create it on search head or indexer server itself?
If I create app or dashboard on search head, does it propagate that to the indexers automatic or I have to copy files manually from search head to indexer.
I am just thinking about syncing apps, dashboards, custom fields etc. etc. between search head and indexers.
I believe by default it does not get sync in between.
I created custom fields on search head for one type of data and created custom fields on indexer for second type of data.
When I looked into both search head and indexers, custom fields were missing on server other than where it was created.
So, I had to modify props.conf and transforms.conf manually so that it appears on other servers as well.

Is this the method I need to adopt or it can be achieved using some configuration level on search head and/or indexers?

0 Karma

nareshinsvu
Builder

What is this new app used for? Usually apps sit on Search head layer

Refer this link for examples/process - http://dev.splunk.com/view/quickstart/SP-CAAAFDC

0 Karma

nareshinsvu
Builder

Is your issue resolved? kindly accept and/or upvote my response if it helped

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...