Splunk Dev

The impact of Universal Forwarders communication with Deployment Server on network bandwidth

aydinmo
Explorer

Hello All,

Actually I have Deployment Server in my environment and wondering to know the impact of Universal Forwarders communication with Deployment Server on network bandwidth, when they are phoning home.

The total size of deployed apps (10 apps) are <1200KB and I have 500 Universal Forwarders installed (mainly on Windows devices). 

Is there any recommendation to calculate the volume of this type of traffic?

Thanks in advance.

A.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Until one of the apps changes, the bandwidth utilization is trivial.  The client phones home, gets a list of apps and checksums, then compares those checksums to what it has installed.  Only if a checksum fails to match does an app get downloaded.

If you're still concerned, have the clients phone home less often.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

aydinmo
Explorer

Thank you @richgalloway ! 
---

Is there any reference available from Splunk documentation to address this?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.3/Updating/Howdeploymentupdateshappen

---

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Until one of the apps changes, the bandwidth utilization is trivial.  The client phones home, gets a list of apps and checksums, then compares those checksums to what it has installed.  Only if a checksum fails to match does an app get downloaded.

If you're still concerned, have the clients phone home less often.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...