Splunk Dev

Splunkd Crash: The user 'splunk-system-user' does not have sufficient search privleges

kfeagans_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi:

A few days ago, after messing about with users and roles, I had the unfortunate occurrence of splunkd failing after just a minute or so. Looking through the recorded crash.log, I see the following:

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type SearchProcessorException: Error in 'DispatchCommand': The user 'splunk-system-user' does not have sufficient search privleges.

After searching high and low, I can't seem to find an answer to this?

Help! 🙂

kf

0 Karma
1 Solution

kfeagans_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Found my own answer, with help from Splunk Ninja!

Turns out, there is an authorize.conf file located in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local that contains anything relevant to your instance of Splunk and user permissions relating to searches. Since this is a generated file from user input (users and roles), simply rename this file, and restart Splunk. Splunk will then create a new "default" authorize.conf file in local for you. If you need to, go ahead and make auth changes (being careful not to crash Splunk again! :).

View solution in original post

kfeagans_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Found my own answer, with help from Splunk Ninja!

Turns out, there is an authorize.conf file located in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local that contains anything relevant to your instance of Splunk and user permissions relating to searches. Since this is a generated file from user input (users and roles), simply rename this file, and restart Splunk. Splunk will then create a new "default" authorize.conf file in local for you. If you need to, go ahead and make auth changes (being careful not to crash Splunk again! :).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...