Splunk Dev

Splunk6 Django app -- Importing SQLite

joshuamcqueen
Path Finder

Hey Splunk Gurus,

I'm writing a Splunk 6 app, and need the ability to persist settings. I did a simple mock-up writing/reading JSON to a file, but now I want to use SQLite.

The problem comes when I go to import sqlite in python:

/myapp/django/myapp/views.py:

from django.contrib.auth.decorators import login_required
from splunkdj.decorators.render import render_to
from django.shortcuts import render

# Add various modules that we'll use in this app
import logging
import sqlite3
import sys
import json    

The error that I get is: "global name 'sqlite3' is not defined"

Ok, so I try moving the import down into my def, now the exception is "No module named sqlite3"

Inside myapp, I did a "logger.debug(sys.path)" and can see it's pointing to /opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/

After some digging, I realized that there is no "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_sqlite3.so". I assume this is because Splunk uses a custom-compiled python and omits it. I tried copying a compatible _sqlite3.so but that didn't work.

So what's going on here? All I want to do is create a little table, insert a few rows, and query the settings back out. I know Splunk uses SQLite already -- I just have no idea how to access it.

I started playing around with settings.py:

DATABASES = {
    'default': {
        'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.sqlite3',
        'NAME': 'mydatabase',
    }
}

but could not get that working either. I'm a little new to Django, so at this moment I'm stuck. Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks!

1 Solution

joshuamcqueen
Path Finder

I GOT IT WORKING!!

After about 8 hours of messing around here's what I did:

• copy the _sqlite3.so from /usr/lib64/python2.6/lib-dynload/_sqlite3.so to /opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/
  • chmod and chown it appropriately
  • restart Splunk

Volia!

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...