Splunk Dev

Splunk WebFramework error

koshyk
Super Champion

Hi,
I'm in process of enabling SplunkJS Stack as per this link (Splunk 6.0.1)

I was able to install "myWebApp" successfully using..

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework/splunkdj createapp myWebApp

But when I'm running the app via GUI, it throws error..

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 1237, in communicate
    req.respond()
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 554, in respond
    self._respond()
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 566, in _respond
    response = self.wsgi_app(self.environ, self.start_response)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cptree.py", line 239, in __call__
    return app(environ, start_response)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/wsgi.py", line 255, in __call__
    response = self.get_response(request)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 178, in get_response
    response = self.handle_uncaught_exception(request, resolver, sys.exc_info())
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework/server/splunkdj/management/commands/runwsgiserver.py", line 189, in handle_uncaught_exception
    return super(LoggingWSGIHandler, self).handle_uncaught_exception(request, resolver, exc_info, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 220, in handle_uncaught_exception
    if resolver.urlconf_module is None:
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/urlresolvers.py", line 342, in urlconf_module
    self._urlconf_module = import_module(self.urlconf_name)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py", line 35, in import_module
    __import__(name)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework/server/urls.py", line 114, in <module>
    jsurls.create_javascript_urlpatterns()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework/server/splunkdj/utility/jsurls.py", line 83, in create_javascript_urlpatterns
    makedirs(dirpath)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework/server/static/JS_CACHE'

Btw, I've checked permission for directories and as far as i can see all are fine.
I'm not sure if any of you guys have seen it. IF yes, any solution?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

koshyk
Super Champion

Found the issue.
It is a bug.
Not sure if the splunkdj needs to change or something else.

(Permissions from /opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework/ does not have write access to splunk user)

View solution in original post

mikaelbje
Motivator

Resolved by doing chmod -R 775 on /opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework/server/static and checking that the folder is owned by splunk:splunk

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

Found the issue.
It is a bug.
Not sure if the splunkdj needs to change or something else.

(Permissions from /opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework/ does not have write access to splunk user)

mikaelbje
Motivator

Do you have the bug ID? How did you resolve the issue?

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

This is a permission error. OSError is returned when Python can't get permissions to access, change or create a filesystem object.
Double check the permissions to make they are as you expect. Bear in mind that this is invoked by the python interpreter that comes with Splunk and can sometimes throw some wobblers with permissions errors like this.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...