Splunk Dev

Splunk Installer was unable to create Splunk services

lexluthor
Explorer

I installed Splunk for the first time, and I decided to move the install to another drive.

I uninstalled Splunk and restarted and got this error:

"Splunk Installer was unable to create
Splunk services. Please make sure the
user running the installer has the
correct privileges, including being
able to create Windows Services.
Exitcode='1'"

I checked for the services in services.msc; there was nothing there. I tried sc delete , just in case. I cleaned the registry. I searched the registry for anything splunk related and found nothing. I looked in msconfig for anything related.

As far as I know, Windows 7
does not allow me to run .msi packages
as admin by right-clicking, and going
into properties.

I ran the .msi package as admin using cmd. I read the logs and there's a python error in the log regarding ssl certificates: %LocalAppData%\Temp\Splunk-108.3.26786.log

> if
> normalizeBoolean(serverconf['sslConfig'].get('requireClientCert')):
> KeyError: 'sslConfig'
0 Karma
1 Solution

lexluthor
Explorer

I hate to speculate but perhaps it's only nagging because I installed it on C:\ first, where it infused its SSL certificates, and then tried to install it on another drive where those certificates were unavailable--on my Z: drive. Anyway, at least for me, the problem stems from the program insisting on being installed on the C:\ drive. It installed fine when I finally tried to just re-install it on C:.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lexluthor
Explorer

I hate to speculate but perhaps it's only nagging because I installed it on C:\ first, where it infused its SSL certificates, and then tried to install it on another drive where those certificates were unavailable--on my Z: drive. Anyway, at least for me, the problem stems from the program insisting on being installed on the C:\ drive. It installed fine when I finally tried to just re-install it on C:.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

it smells like a permission issue.
On windows, you can run a cmd window as admin by editing the cmd shortcut options.
see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/run-a-command-as-administrator-from-the-windows-vista-r...

Once done :

• using the cmd line try to recreate the service using
    splunk disable boot-start
    splunk enable boot-start
    then check in the services to verify

• or uninstall / clean the folders / then reinstall using the admin cmd line.

lexluthor
Explorer

I agree with "permission issue," but not necessarily in the "Windows" sense of the word. I think the permission issues are within the program itself.

0 Karma

lexluthor
Explorer

I explained above that I ran the program with admin credentials via cmd. I would be unable to use any splunk command as the application was not installed. I already did everything else you said as I stated above. 🙂 But thanks for the help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...