Splunk Dev

Splunk Enterprise cost

rysplunk

I do not understand the pricing model for splunk enterprise. If my daily ingested rate is 15GB/day, does that mean the cost for Splunk Enterprise is that rate is ($150 * 15) * x days in the month? If this is incorrect, can someone please clarify the rate?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

masonmorales
Influencer

Splunk has historically used term licenses that have a fixed daily max data volume. So, let's say that you buy a 1-year Splunk license that lets you index 15 GB/day for $1,000 (I'm making this number up to explain this - please contact sales for actual pricing)...

You can index up to 15 GB/day, every day, for the term of the license (1 year in this example). If you index 5 GB one day and 10 GB the next day, the cost of your license remains the same. You are buying the license based on the maximum amount of data that you plan to bring into Splunk every day for the term of the license.

So, in this scenario, let's say you have a very steady data stream and you send 15 GB of data into Splunk every day for 365 days. Your cost to do that was $1,000 for the entire year, and you ingested 15 GB x 365 days = 5475 GB of data for that $1,000. If you want monthly cost, divide the $1000 you paid for the year by 12 = $83.33/month.

If you exceed the 15 GB/day cap in any 24 hour period, you will get a license warning. If you get multiple license warnings, you end up with a license violation which prevents you from executing searches. You then have to contact Support and ask them for a reset key to clear the violation. If you violate the license multiple times throughout the year, your sales rep will tell you that you need to buy a bigger license. So, it's important to buy a license with enough daily capacity for the amount of data you plan to ingest. Any Splunk Sales rep can help you with this, but that's essentially how licensing has worked in the past.

All that said, we have new licensing models available that do not have a daily data ingestion cap. I'd encourage you to visit https://www.splunk.com/en_us/software/pricing.html for more information or contact Splunk sales to get a few quotes for your environment.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Splunk has historically used term licenses that have a fixed daily max data volume. So, let's say that you buy a 1-year Splunk license that lets you index 15 GB/day for $1,000 (I'm making this number up to explain this - please contact sales for actual pricing)...

You can index up to 15 GB/day, every day, for the term of the license (1 year in this example). If you index 5 GB one day and 10 GB the next day, the cost of your license remains the same. You are buying the license based on the maximum amount of data that you plan to bring into Splunk every day for the term of the license.

So, in this scenario, let's say you have a very steady data stream and you send 15 GB of data into Splunk every day for 365 days. Your cost to do that was $1,000 for the entire year, and you ingested 15 GB x 365 days = 5475 GB of data for that $1,000. If you want monthly cost, divide the $1000 you paid for the year by 12 = $83.33/month.

If you exceed the 15 GB/day cap in any 24 hour period, you will get a license warning. If you get multiple license warnings, you end up with a license violation which prevents you from executing searches. You then have to contact Support and ask them for a reset key to clear the violation. If you violate the license multiple times throughout the year, your sales rep will tell you that you need to buy a bigger license. So, it's important to buy a license with enough daily capacity for the amount of data you plan to ingest. Any Splunk Sales rep can help you with this, but that's essentially how licensing has worked in the past.

All that said, we have new licensing models available that do not have a daily data ingestion cap. I'd encourage you to visit https://www.splunk.com/en_us/software/pricing.html for more information or contact Splunk sales to get a few quotes for your environment.

0 Karma

omuelle1
Communicator

A Splunk sales rep would provide you with the actual cost per month. Other factors as go in here dependent on what kind of Service Agreement you choose, but your best course of action is ask a Splunk sales rep for pricing.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk volume pricing is the maximum ingest rate for any day. If you buy 15GB/day then the rate is for 15GB, not 450GB.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

rysplunk

So say for example I ingest 15GB/day for 30 days, what would my cost be for the month?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Once you buy a volume license, your monthly cost is fixed. Whether for a single day or all 30, it's the same price - $150x15GB.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

rysplunk

So 1 day if I consumed/ingested 15GB would be $2250?!? So on avg it would cost over $60k/mo if that was the avg rate? I tried reaching out to sales over the past several days but no one has reached out to me which is why I reached out here.

0 Karma

rysplunk

The above formatting didn't work out should read ($150 x 15) X nu days in current month

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...