Splunk Dev

Splunk CIM model

ips_mandar
Builder

Hi 
I have currently 5-6 index setup where consider abc as fieldname , which is extracted at index time and same fieldname is called with different name in different indexes like cde, efg . Now I  want to create common field name for all these different fieldnames extracted at indextime.
-What would be best way to achieve it and I want to take advantage of index time extracted fields?  
I checked CIM model but does not fit as per my data. so even if I created data model including all my index and then if I calculate fields to use one common name but it will not take any advantage of index time extracted fields.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One method is to add INGEST_EVAL settings in the transforms.conf files for the various sourcetypes that write to those indexes.  For example:

[setcommonnameabc]
INGEST_EVAL commonfield=abc

[setcommonnamecde]
INGEST_EVAL commonfield=cde

[setcommonnamedef]
INGEST_EVAL commonfield=def

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One method is to add INGEST_EVAL settings in the transforms.conf files for the various sourcetypes that write to those indexes.  For example:

[setcommonnameabc]
INGEST_EVAL commonfield=abc

[setcommonnamecde]
INGEST_EVAL commonfield=cde

[setcommonnamedef]
INGEST_EVAL commonfield=def

---

ips_mandar
Builder

Thanks @richgalloway  
some of my index data is coming from database using db connect app. so can I apply ingest-eval on that index as well?
One more issue I am facing is that- 
I have summary index (test_summary_index)  and I have abc fieldname in summary index as well. but problem is when I set fields.conf -
[abc]
indexed=true

then splunk will try to search fieldname abc in metadata but it won't find any results for summary index .
for ex. index="test_summary_index" abc="123"
This query won't return any results.
What could be solution for this issue?
Can CIM be useful?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure if INGEST_EVAL can be applied to DBX data.  I think it can, but am not positive.

Please post a new question about your summary index problem.

The concept behind CIM is to use common field names among your various sourcetypes so correlation of events is easier.  CIM uses datamodels to do that, but you can do it yourself with careful onboarding (using aliases, for example).

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...