Splunk Dev

Splunk 6.5 is not run django app?

geonspapa
Explorer

I'm installed splunk enterprise 6.5.0.

and Test previous django tutorial app. but app is not run. (6.4.x is ok)

Can not I use Django?

0 Karma
1 Solution

grossb
Explorer

We just encountered this roadblock within our Django apps as well and I discovered some things I thought I'd share for the community. I agree with garethatiag, the documentation doesn't imply it's previous functionality isn't supported. The current release even (6.5.2 http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/ReleaseNotes/Deprecatedfeatures) in the release notes under "Previously deprecated features that still work" state:

"The Django Bindings feature of the Splunk Web Framework. For future development Splunk recommends that you use other features of the Splunk Web Framework, such as Simple XML extensions and HTML dashboards."

For us, our custom app relied heavily on the Django web framework. We use the Django template inheritance structure, django urls/views/templating system as well as the django template tags for search manager, input and other DOM (table, chart) elements.

For us, the upgrade to 6.5.2 rendered the table's output to an infinity "loading" state. The DOM loaded correctly with the inheritance and tags and the searches ran as evident by the jobs manager. Our issue was missing two javascript library links. Setting the appropriate include in our html for the following JS files resolved our loading issue:

Fixed rendering of charts elements:
/opt/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/build/splunkjs_dj/3.3.js

Fixed rendering of table elements.
/opt/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/build/splunkjs_dj/5.5.js
/opt/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/build/splunkjs_dj/6.6.js

View solution in original post

0 Karma

glentes
Path Finder

Thank you grossb for the information.

By the way:
I just updated a test system to the new 6.5.3 version and the problem seems to be solved.

grossb
Explorer

We just encountered this roadblock within our Django apps as well and I discovered some things I thought I'd share for the community. I agree with garethatiag, the documentation doesn't imply it's previous functionality isn't supported. The current release even (6.5.2 http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/ReleaseNotes/Deprecatedfeatures) in the release notes under "Previously deprecated features that still work" state:

"The Django Bindings feature of the Splunk Web Framework. For future development Splunk recommends that you use other features of the Splunk Web Framework, such as Simple XML extensions and HTML dashboards."

For us, our custom app relied heavily on the Django web framework. We use the Django template inheritance structure, django urls/views/templating system as well as the django template tags for search manager, input and other DOM (table, chart) elements.

For us, the upgrade to 6.5.2 rendered the table's output to an infinity "loading" state. The DOM loaded correctly with the inheritance and tags and the searches ran as evident by the jobs manager. Our issue was missing two javascript library links. Setting the appropriate include in our html for the following JS files resolved our loading issue:

Fixed rendering of charts elements:
/opt/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/build/splunkjs_dj/3.3.js

Fixed rendering of table elements.
/opt/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/build/splunkjs_dj/5.5.js
/opt/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/build/splunkjs_dj/6.6.js

0 Karma

glentes
Path Finder

We have some own application using django and tableview is not working anymore in 6.5.x
I still see no official statement from splunk regarding the django support / desupport in 6.5.x

Any additional information would be helpful.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As per my post "I believe django is no longer available in Splunk 6.5, it has been deprecated since 6.3"

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I believe django is no longer available in Splunk 6.5, it has been deprecated since 6.3
However the official documentation for 6.5 deprecated features does not explicitly state this.

Note that various applications have been updated to remove django from them such as the Windows infrastructure app to be 6.5 compatible.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...