Splunk Dev

Run a search based on alert result

maada
Explorer

Hi,
i would like to run a search (to collect data in a summary index) triggered by an alert, which is checking for new data. e.g. if the start of a new dataset comes in, i would like to enrich, manipulate and collect the last dataset into a summary index.

if the collect search only runs on a time schedule, i may get inconsistencies in between the collected dataset due to cutting in between.
i'm looking for something like a custom alert action to trigger another saved search.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

First possibility - look at @woodcock's answer to this question of how do you prevent a search from running during blackout periods.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/24824/can-i-set-a-blackout-period-for-a-scheduled-search-during-w...

You could apply a version of that solution.

Second possibility - you could use your first search to determine and return the earliest= and latest= times for your search that collects the data... and then set teh same arbitrary future date/time as both earliest and latest if your search determines there is no data.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...