Splunk Dev

Script for rolling restart of Splunk service on linux multiple servers?

arunsunny
Path Finder

Hi

I am looking for a script to perform the rolling restart of Splunk service on multiple servers from the Centralised server where it has ssh access to the slave servers.

Is anybody have the script?

Thanks,
Arun Sunny

Labels (1)
0 Karma

BainM
Communicator

Hello-
We need some more info. What version of Splunk, what server type (Searchhead standalone, cluster searchheads, indexer cluster, etc).

If any of this is clustered, and it's the 7.x or 8.x version, you can initiate a SHC rolling restart right from within Splunkweb on any of the SHC members - Settings - Search Head Clustering, then look for the "Begin Rolling Restart" button on the top right.

If it's a peer cluster, you will want to run the rolling restart command from any peer or the ClusterMaster.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.1/Indexer/Userollingrestart

This is the easiest and smoothest way to do a Rolling Restart. I would not use any scripts.

Hope this helps,
Mike

0 Karma

arunsunny
Path Finder

I am looking at the rolling restart of the endpoint agents. (It's Just a Splunk universal forwarder agent installed on all the endpoints)

0 Karma

badrinath_itrs
Communicator

Hello, is the UF managed via Deployment servers ? If yes, you can restart them when you push a change from Deployment server using restart flag.

If they are not managed by Deployment server, then you can use puppet or chef or ansible depending on your environment to restart UF.

0 Karma

arunsunny
Path Finder

Yes, it's all managed by DS but I do not want to restart them at the same time. So I am looking for a script where it does the rolling restart in this case.

0 Karma

soumyasaha25
Contributor

you can create custom server classes and push your configs one at a time (individually for each server class).

0 Karma

arunsunny
Path Finder

@soumyasaha25 - I have around 50 endpoints so I can not create 50 serverclass. I am looking for a better approach to push the configs.

0 Karma

Skerilyo
Loves-to-Learn

Hi, did you find any viable solution to this problem ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...