Splunk Dev

How to reload changed python code without restarting Splunk?

arjitg
Explorer

Hi All , My query was is there any way we can reload the changed python script without restarting the splunk everytime? 

I understand we have _bump for javascript and CSS & debug/refresh for .conf files but do we have a similiar command for changed python scripts as well?

Thanks & Regards

AG.  

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please describe your use case.  I change the Python code in my apps often and never need to restart Splunk.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

AgentTimon
Engager

You need to "Disable the client and server caches during development".

https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/manageknowledge/assetcaching/

Dohrendorf_Cons
Path Finder

I have the same problem. 

To specify it a little further: 

I am developing a custom REST Endpoint using 

from splunk.persistconn.application import PersistentServerConnectionApplicationPython

When I run the endpoint I get the expected result. However if I then go on to change the code, the changes sometimes impact the output and sometimes they don't no matter what I do to the code. Even if I deliberately break the code, the endpoint still works.

As far as I could figure out, I have about 5-10 iterations that will impact the output, afterwards some cached version of my script seems to be executed. If I reach that point, the only thing, that makes new versions of the code show up, is restarting splunk, as initially suggested.

So if there is something similar to _bump or debug/refresh for Python, that would be a HUGE help.

I have experienced this behavior with Splunk 6, 7, and 8. Previous versions I have not done much development on, so I can't say.

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

0 Karma

Funderburg78
Path Finder

Even better question, I recently learned python, how do I take what I learned and use it in splunk?  Explanation links to articles are fine answers!  Yes, I give Karma!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please ask a new question rather than hijack a thread.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please describe your use case.  I change the Python code in my apps often and never need to restart Splunk.

---

arjitg
Explorer

Hi @richgalloway ! Thanks for this. So does it mean that you don't have to restart the Splunk server whenever you make any changes to your python code in "bin" folder? You can save the code and it should run fine whenever we are triggering this code through JS ? 

In my use case, I am trying to encrypt password using python script. My JS is calling this python script &  sending that encrypted password  to Splunk to display.

Thanks

AG.  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...