Splunk Dev

Python script develop/debug tools

rantravee
Path Finder

Hello,

I find it quite exhausting to use notepad++ for writing a pyhton script for Splunk . Any mistake takes a lot to debug (by opening splunkd.log) and fix .Plus there are a lot of typos and API misuse that go undetected into runtime problems. Being a beginner with Python I am wondering, is there any alternative available to optimize the developing/debuggin process ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi rantravee,

being a Python beginner as well, I'm also using notepad++ and run the script like

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd python $PATH_TO_YOUR_SCRIPT

In case of any error I got useful debug feedback so far. Maybe you can try the Python Debugger and see if this is more useful in your case.

hope this helps...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi rantravee,

being a Python beginner as well, I'm also using notepad++ and run the script like

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd python $PATH_TO_YOUR_SCRIPT

In case of any error I got useful debug feedback so far. Maybe you can try the Python Debugger and see if this is more useful in your case.

hope this helps...

cheers, MuS

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...