Splunk Dev

Need help creating an external lookup with Python.

andrewj84
Engager

Hello,

I've read through the documentation on external lookup with python and read through a few posts, could use some guidance.  What I am trying to do is use this python script.  Giving the script arguments protocol src_ip dest_ip src_port dest_port, gives you a calculated hash. Running it on its own works fine.  This is what I've done so far:

Python script added to:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/bin

Added stanza to transforms.conf:

[cid]
external_cmd = community-id.py Protocol SourceIp DestinationIp SourcePort DestinationPort
external_type = python
fields_list = Protocol, SourceIp, DestinationIp, SourcePort, DestinationPort

I've tried several examples of search commands that was in the documentation and what others have used, but haven't returned any results (errors).  So im not really sure if I'm doing this correctly.  I've noticed that some examples have their python scripts output to a .csv?  is that necessary?  should I approach this another way?

BLUF:  I want to pass some fields into a python script to give me a calculated hash in a new field.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...