Splunk Dev

How to set the default value of a multiselect input box to the results of a search?

coleman07
Path Finder

I want all results from a search to be the default for a multiselect input box. I don't think it can be done with SimpleXML but I suspect it can happen with JavaScript using the val method. How would I run the search from the search manager, retrieve the results and fill in the Multiselect box?

Labels (2)

vaibhavsuneja

Use following in multiselect:-

All

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

The multiselect input can be populated with results from a search by defining the search query in the dynamic results. To use * as the default, you can add one static option - name=All value=* and set that as the default.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.0/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML#input_type_.22m...

chuckers
Path Finder

I downvoted this post because using value=* does not quite address the scenario.

imagine a systems with thousands of host values. my dynamic search in the input will find at most only 20 of these thousands of hosts. but on any given day, it will find only a subset of those 20 host values...

if today it finds only 4 host values, i'd like the default value for the input to be only those 4 hosts (not host=*). tomorrow the default might be some set of 7 host values...

i'd find this very useful if there is a way to do it in simple xml. thanks!

akshatprakash
Engager

@chuckers were you able to find how to dynamically populate all in the default value for input as you wanted? i am also looking to do the same.

Purk9
Explorer
i am also looking to do the same......did you find the answer?
0 Karma

coleman07
Path Finder

I would prefer to not use All and, instead, have all the results appear in the multiselect when the dashboard is displayed. I can't seem to assign a search manager to fill the default values.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...