Splunk Dev

How to "fill" missing hours from a search where there are no results with a value of 0 in a chart?

bbaisley

I have a simple search where we are searching the logs for a specific event. We want to chart out the count of how many times that event is found each hour, irrespective of the day. We are looking to see which hours are the busiest hour.

Meaning, if the event happened at 5:00 Monday, 5:00 Tuesday and 6:00 Friday, I expect it to chart out a count of 2 for the 5:00 hour and a count of 1 for the 6:00 hour.

This query does work and counts what we need:

<search_string_here>
| eval hour = strftime(_time,"%H")
| chart count by hour

The issue, though, is if there are gaps in the hours, they are not in the chart. So the above example will have a chart with only bars for the 5 and the 6 hour. We want to see all hours (0 - 23) on the chart, and if there was no data for that hour, obviously the count would be 0.

I can't figure out how to "fill" in the missing hours. Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try like this (timechart will ensure there exist a row for each hour, even if the count it 0)

<search_string_here> 
| timechart span=1h count
| chart sum(count) as count by hour

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try like this (timechart will ensure there exist a row for each hour, even if the count it 0)

<search_string_here> 
| timechart span=1h count
| chart sum(count) as count by hour
0 Karma

bbaisley

This works. Thanks!

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

try this:

| stats count 
| eval hour="00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23" 
| makemv delim="," hour
| mvexpand hour
| append 
    [search <search_string_here> | eval hour = strftime(_time,"%H") ]
| stats sum(eval(if(isnull(_time),0,1))) as count by hour
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...