Splunk Dev

How to preserve all configured data inputs when upgrading a custom app using Splunk Add-on Builder?

benhooper
Communicator

I've found that upgrading a custom app built with Splunk Add-on Builder is clearing all configured data inputs. Is there a way to prevent this?

2020-08-26 10-43-41 - Settings__Splunk_-_Google_Chrome.png2020-08-26 10-44-44 - Inputs_-_Google_Chrome.png2020-08-26 10-45-38 - Settings__Splunk_-_Google_Chrome.png2020-08-26 10-47-02 - Settings__Splunk_-_Google_Chrome.png2020-08-26 10-47-23 - Inputs_-_Google_Chrome.png

Labels (3)
0 Karma

benhooper
Communicator

BUMP.

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @benhooper ,

My guess is, that the definitions / .conf files were stored in the ./default directory of the app and not ./local, so they were overwritten when the app was updated.

BR 
Ralph

--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.
0 Karma

benhooper
Communicator

Hi @rnowitzki

Good idea but I've just checked and found that this configuration is stored in file /opt/splunk/etc/apps/<app name>/local/inputs.conf.

Thanks,

Ben.

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @benhooper,

Hmm, ok. Is it stored in ./local within structure of the tar.gz of the app? That would be against the law 🙂

Or do you mean, the inputs.conf is still there in the filesystem, but you don't see it in the gui?

BR
Ralph

--

benhooper
Communicator

Hi @rnowitzki

My previous message was in regards to where the active, correct configuration is stored.

Your message led me to look inside the archive and I found that, by default, the file <appName>_<appVersion>_export.tgz/<appName>_<appVersion>_export.tgz/<appName>/local/inputs.conf exists and contains the default / generic config. Simply deleting that file from the archive solves the problem because it can't be used to overwrite the live file.

Thanks!

0 Karma

benhooper
Communicator

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me how I can prevent these files from being exported in the first place! It's a nuisance having to manually remove them every time I export.

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @benhooper ,

You mean to prevent that the inputs.conf of the tar.gz overwrites the inputs.conf of the App?

The problem is with the archive itself, it should not have any inputs.conf in ./local. It should deliver its inputs.conf in the ./default directory. That way it would extract the new copy, but the app would still use the one in ./local because of conf file precedence rules.

Where is the app coming from?

BR
Ralph

--
0 Karma

benhooper
Communicator

Hi @rnowitzki ,

The app is being exported from the Splunk Add-on Builder.

Thanks,

Ben.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...