Splunk Dev

How to generate java jstack of the db connect jbridge process?

kserra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

My db connect has been experiencing hanging issues, and splunk support has request for a jstack output for further investigating into the issue. What are the steps to obtain the jstack outputs?

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In order to obtain jstack output on a java process, you would first need to obtain the java sdk package. The standard jre package does not include the necessary tools (ie. jps and jstack) for generating the jstack output.

Requirements:

1.) Obtain java sdk from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

2.) Reconfigure db connect to use the sdk version of the jvm.

For example, if you specify /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_25 as the java home, ensure that there is a bin sub-directory which contains the java, jps, and jstack executables.

alt text

While the issue is occurring:

1.) Open a command prompt and cd into the $JAVA_HOME/bin directory

2.) Run: jps -l (this will list running java processes)

3.) Identify the process with the label com.splunk.bridge.JavaBridgeServer and copy the PID (number)

4.) Run: jstack -l (where is replaced with the copied PID from step #3)

5.) Copy the output and paste it into a text file for Support

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...