Splunk Dev

How to create a simple alert using REST API

Manware
Engager

Hi,

I am unable to create a simple alert using the following documentation. 

As per documentation, the required parameters are Search and name.

Following code is written in Javascript

Here is my request:

const data = {
"alert_comparator": "equal to",
"alert_threshold": "0",
"alert_type": "number of events",
"cron_schedule": "*/1 * * * *",
"search": "index%3D%22global-events-qa%22%20functionName%3D%22correspondence-service%22",
"name": "Simple alert"
}
const response = await axios.post(' https://app.splunkcloud.com:8089/services/saved/searches', data,{
headers: { ...(await getAuth({region: 'ap-southeast-2'}))}
});

Here is the error: 

Cannot perform action "POST" without a target name to act on.

Documentation Link: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/RESTREF/RESTsearch?_ga=2.62077416.557388192.1646...

It will be really great if you could share some working examples somewhere in your documentation. 

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Manware
Engager

Thanks @richgalloway . I saw that example before. that's curl + XML. I was looking for an example with a json format. 

After fiddling with it for some time, I came to know that the 'data' in above request has to be url encoded. then it worked fine.

cheers

View solution in original post

Manware
Engager

Thanks @richgalloway . I saw that example before. that's curl + XML. I was looking for an example with a json format. 

After fiddling with it for some time, I came to know that the 'data' in above request has to be url encoded. then it worked fine.

cheers

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The linked documentation does have examples.  Click on the [Expand] link then scroll past the argument tables to find the examples.

The example for creating a search uses a name without spaces.  I wonder if that will make a difference.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...