Splunk Dev

How can I set local time zone in many fields in my log ?

mah
Builder

Hi,

I have json logs which contains  2 time fields :  Horodate and Timestamp

{"ObjectLevelN3": "T", "ObjectIdN2": "R", "ObjectLevelN2": "TAG", "Level": "C3", "Version": "1", "ObjectIdN3": "00:00:03", "Statut": "OK", "Horodate": "2020-12-01T08:14:25.026Z", "ObjectType": "B", "Category": "CU", "Protocol": "PULL", "ObjectLevelN1": "F", "Environment": "DEV", "ObjectIdN1": "WI", "Id": "03d6a3ef", "IdCorrelation": "17103d7f", "Timestamp": "2020-12-01T08:14:00.442Z"}

My props.conf sets the field _time to be like Horodate field :

[test_json]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = 0
pulldown_type = 1
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
TIME_PREFIX = Horodate

We are in GMT+1 : so as you can see on the file attached the field _time is like :

12/1/20 9:14:25.026 AM

My issue is : how can I set the fields Horodate and Timestamp in GMT+ 1 ?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since the time zone is included in the timestamp, Splunk should account for it automatically and store the Horodate field in UTC.  It will present the field using the user's preferred time zone.

It may help to put the timestamp format in the props.conf file (always a good idea, anyway).

[test_json]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = 0
pulldown_type = 1
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
TIME_PREFIX = Horodate":"
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%Z
---
0 Karma

mah
Builder

And  if I set the parameter TZ = Europe/Brussels in the props.conf will not change the time in fields Horodate and Timestamp ? 

0 Karma

mah
Builder

Ok. My client wanted the time of his logs to be similar to the time of the _time field. For my part, I was wondering about the relevance and the feasibility of this request. You answered me correctly.

Thanks for your answers ! 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The time zone in the timestamp overrides the TZ setting.

---
0 Karma

mah
Builder

Ok thanks.

Is there a way to add +1hour on fields Horodate and Timestamp by a command line ? 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why do you need to add an hour?  Splunk does time zone conversion automatically based on your user preferences.  Set your time zone to GMT+1 and that is what you should see.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...