Splunk Dev

Help on import cryptography.x509 for splunk add-on

spammenot66
Contributor

I'm using the Splunk Add-on Builder app to create a splunk app. on the run /test page of AoB, as soon as I add in the line from cryptography.x509 import certificate_transparency it throws the error below.As soon as I remove the line, base code from AoB immediate works but i need this cryptography to be avail

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-test\bin\pn_testtest_1598189382_409.py", line 14, in <module>

import input_module_pn_testtest_1598189382_409 as input_module

File "C:\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-test\bin\input_module_pn_testtest_1598189382_409.py", line 18, in <module>

import cryptography.x509

File "C:\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-test\bin\ta_test\cryptography\x509\__init__.py", line 7, in <module>

from cryptography.x509 import certificate_transparency

ImportError: cannot import name certificate_transparency

I've added the paackages into the bin\ta_test folder:
cffi
asn1crypto
six
pycparser

0 Karma
1 Solution

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

you should follow below while importing module into python:

for example 1:  you have certificate_transparancy.py is inside your_app\bin\ta_test

to import certificate_transparancy.py  in your python script which is in your_app\bin

from ta_test import certificate_transparancy 

for example 2:  you have certificate_transparancy.py is inside your_app\bin\ta_test\inside_folder

to import certificate_transparancy.py in your python script which is in your_app\bin

from ta_test.inside_folder import certificate_transparancy 
————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

View solution in original post

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

you should follow below while importing module into python:

for example 1:  you have certificate_transparancy.py is inside your_app\bin\ta_test

to import certificate_transparancy.py  in your python script which is in your_app\bin

from ta_test import certificate_transparancy 

for example 2:  you have certificate_transparancy.py is inside your_app\bin\ta_test\inside_folder

to import certificate_transparancy.py in your python script which is in your_app\bin

from ta_test.inside_folder import certificate_transparancy 
————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

spammenot66
Contributor

@thambisetty Thanks for the reply. The problem was I tried to copy the site-package from Anaconda (C:\ProgramData\Anaconda2\Lib\site-packages), which was stupid. The solution was to install python,  then go to the scripts folder where python was installed to use pip.exe. 

I needed to just run pip install {module}, then copy the module along with all dependencies to the my splunk app as you've noted. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...