Splunk Dev

Get events into splunk using Javascript SDK - Internet Explorer 8

yitzarad
Path Finder

Hi,

I'm trying to send data into splunk index, using splunkjs.Service.Index.submitEvent method, as shown in the example (look for "To add data directly to an index" paragraph). It works fine under FF and Chrome, but not in IE8.

When trying to execute myindexes.item("test_index"), the myindexes is null. I verified that it is OK and non-null before the fetch callback is executed.

In the console, I see an error saying "Error in parsing JSON", without any additional data/params.

Any ideas?

Edit:

I have no IE8 to reproduce it right now. When running in IE10 everything is working fine (like FF and Chrome). But, when choosing compatibility view (which simulates IE7), the problem does occur. This can be reproduced easily, no specific configuration is required.

the code is very simple (almost purely copied from the example):

var http = new splunkjs.ProxyHttp("/proxy");

// Create a Service instance and log in
var service = new splunkjs.Service(http, {
username: "admin",
password: "changeme",
scheme: "https",
host: "localhost",
port:"8089",
version:"5.0"
});

// Get the collection of indexes
var myindexes = service.indexes();
// Get an index to send events to
myindexes.fetch(function(err, myindexes) {
var myindex = myindexes.item("main");
// Submit an event to the index
myindex.submitEvent("A new event", {
sourcetype: "mysourcetype"
}, function(err, result, myindex) {
console.log("Submitted event: ", result);
});
});

The normal network traffic goes like this ("output_mode=json" is omitted for readability):

(1) POST /proxy/services/auth/login
request body contains username and password
response contains a sessionKey

(2) GET /proxy/services/data/indexes?count=0
response contains a list of indexes details

(3) POST /proxy/services/receivers/simple?sourcetype=mysourcetype&index=main
request body contains the text of the event to be indexed
response contains a confirmation about the indexed event

When fails, the network traffic stops after the first request. the response seems to be alright: {"sessionKey":"................................"}

aljazr

Sorry I have no answer for you..but one question... I am doing the same thing but stacked in firs step... how do you attach splunk.js file (script) to application.js or site.. I tried quite everything but without success... I tried with in xml but nothing... I tried with

var head= document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
var script= document.createElement('script');
script.type= 'text/javascript';
script.src= 'C:/Program files/splunk/etc/apps/HCtest/appserver/static/splunk-sdk/client /splunk.min.js';
head.appendChild(script);

...in application.js

...and got script on page but also error "Not allowed to load local resource:"

thanks for advice.

0 Karma

aljazr

..do I really need a proxy server to get this work?

0 Karma

aljazr

..now i have problems with authentication ...
GET http://local:8000/en-GB/proxy/services/auth/login?output_mode=json 404 (Not Found)

0 Karma

aljazr

Ok, I solved this too ... but not shure if in most elegant way... ...ole! new error found 🙂 ... if you dont mind, could you be so kind to tell me exactly step by step what should I do to get this 'monster' work?

0 Karma

aljazr

OK, i solved this one, script splunk.js is on the page and no error is shown. I solved by adding src in url... https://mycomp:8000/... (instead of C:/...).
But the joy was only for a short time... next error: Uncaught ReferenceError: splunkjs is not defined ....

is out there any detailed walkthrough of using Splunk SDK javascript?

0 Karma

aljazr

I try under web server.

If I add

0 Karma

yitzarad
Path Finder

Do you try to run it under a web server, or a local html placed in file://...?

If using a web server, you should be able to open a Web Developer Console (F12 or something) and see whether the browser create a GET request for this js file or not. If yes, you should get HTTP "200 OK" or "404 Not Found".

0 Karma

yitzarad
Path Finder

i'm able to reproduce it. where should I open a bug?

0 Karma

yitzarad
Path Finder

can somebody reproduce this, in order to confirm that it's not a special case of me?

0 Karma

yitzarad
Path Finder

ineeman,
pasting it here is limited in charcters amount, so I'll edit the original question, if you don't care.

0 Karma

ineeman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you put the code snippet that you are using? Also, does IE8 let you see what the network request/response is that it is making?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...