Field extraction using props and transforms

sivaranjiniG
Path Finder

Hello,

{ [-]
   guessedService: ejj
   logGroup: /aws/ejj/cluster
   logStream: kube-apt-15444d2f8c4b216a9cb69ac
   message:{"kind":"Event","stage":"ResponseComplete","requestURI":"/api/v1/namespaces/jej/endpoints/eji.com-aws-eji","verb":"update","user":{"username":"system:serviceaccount:efs:efs-provisioner","uid":"ab5d27b4c-71a4f77323b0","groups":["system:serviceaccounts","system:serviceaccounts:eji","system:authenticated"]},"sourceIPs":["10.0.0.0"],"userAgent":"eji-provisioner/v0.0.0 (linux/amd64) kubernetes/$Format","objectRef":{"resource":"endpoints","namespace":"edd","name":"dds.com-aws-edds","uid":"44ad8-899f-fbc1f4befb2f","apiVersion":"v1","resourceVersion":"8852157"},"responseStatus":{"metadata":{},"code":200}}

i already a below props and transforms to extract all the fields from message. 

Props.conf
[json_no_new]
REPORT-json = report-json,report-json-new
KV_MODE = none
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
LINE_BREAKER = ^{
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
disabled = false
pulldown_type = true

Transforms.conf

[report-json]
SOURCE_KEY = message
REGEX = (?P<json2>{.+)
DEST_KEY = _raw

[report-json-new]
REGEX = \\*"([^"]+)\":[\s]*"*(\[.*?\]|\{.*?\}"*\}*|[^"]+|\d+),*
FORMAT = $1::$2
SOURCE_KEY = json2

Now from the result i have below field with json value

user = {"username":"system:serviceaccount:efs:efs-provisioner","uid":"ab5d27b4c-71a4f77323b0","groups":["system:serviceaccounts","system:serviceaccounts:eji","system:authenticated"]}

again with props and transform i want to extract values from user field.

Please some one let me know if thats possible 

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should be getting all the fields being extracted just with INDEXED_EXTRACTION. As your data in proper JSON format, you don't even need those transforms.

You should see fields like: logGroup, message.kind, message.user.username, message.user.uid, etc.

Though alternatively, you can use search time extraction, which is what I would do: Using KV_MODE=json instead of INDEXED_EXTRACTION=json. 

Try this below configuration if you can on test system:

[json_no_new]
KV_MODE = json
LINE_BREAKER = }([\r\n]+)
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
disabled = false
pulldown_type = true

You may need to change the SHOULD_LINEMERGE along with other configurations to make sure the data being extracted in the right events according to your _raw data.

You should see fields like with search-time extraction as well: logGroup, message.kind, message.user.username, message.user.uid, etc.

Fields are hierarchical with the use of .(dot).

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As far as I remember, the automatic json extraction (contrary to the spath command) does not care about attributes hierarchy.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...