Splunk Dev

Email Settings | TLS Handshake

socespap
Explorer

Hi Splunk Community,

I am trying to setup a TLs communication btw Splunk Entreprise and an email server for sending alerts. Based on three available options - None | SSL | TLS, only none is working properly.

when chose TLS I received the following error "ERROR:root:STARTTLS extension not supported by server. while sending mail to"

01-22-2019 17:57:57.138 +0000 ERROR ScriptRunner - stderr from '/opt/splunk/bin/python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py "results_link=https://uh0014:8443/app/search/@go?sid=rt_scheduler__vile__search__RMD50843376f462c8b90_at_154817958..." "ssname=Errors reported (Real Time)" "graceful=True" "trigger_time=1548179876" results_file="/opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch/rt_scheduler_vilesearch_RMD50843376f462c8b90_at_1548179587_6.45/results.csv.gz"': ERROR:root:STARTTLS extension not supported by server. while sending mail to:

On alert_action.conf file I have the following
[email]
mailserver = smtp.XXXXX
pdf.header_left = none
pdf.header_right = none
use_tls = 1
sslVersions = tls1.2
sslVerifyServerCert = true
use_ssl = 0
from = noreply_siem@XXXXX
reportPaperSize = a4

Any tip?

Sincerely

VML

Tags (1)

driva
Path Finder

Hi VML,

I had a similar issue when using Office 365 SMTP settings. Usually it is enough to specify smtp.office365.com however I got the same error as yourself. Try adding the port number at the end of the address within Email Settings.

e.g. smtp.office365.com:587 (587 is default). For Office 365 this works with TLS enabled.

Best wishes,

Dan

0 Karma

evelenke
Contributor

Hi, did you resolve this?

0 Karma

orion44
Communicator

Same error here, unable to send any emails from Splunk Enterprise.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...