Splunk Dev

Color the graph depending of count

obrosch
Path Finder

Hello,

I have different server running the same process. I like to count the "ERROR" in the logfile and the color of the graph should change depending on the number of errors. Like 0 to 2 error = green, 3 to 10 error yellow and above 11 error red. How can I realize this in a report.
My search is

index="Index_name" SEARCHSTRING |stats count by host

What I have to add, the the color of an host changes if the number of SEARCHSTRING is like written above.

Thx for your help.

0 Karma
1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

Hey which version of Splunk you are using?
There is a formatting option available in newer version of splunk
Click on the Paint symbol>>Color>>Select Ranges and then specify ranges and give appropriate color.

let me know if this helps!
alt text

View solution in original post

mayurr98
Super Champion

Hey which version of Splunk you are using?
There is a formatting option available in newer version of splunk
Click on the Paint symbol>>Color>>Select Ranges and then specify ranges and give appropriate color.

let me know if this helps!
alt text

obrosch
Path Finder

Hello,

this only works on tables. I need it for a graph. I want, that the graph changes its color depending on the count. Just like in the table.

0 Karma

obrosch
Path Finder

Sorry, I forgot my Version. It is 7.0.2

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Here is how

Create a new variable for each color of bar that you want: redCount, yellowCount, greenCount - for example

Assign the count value to the appropriate variable

Create a stacked column chart (or a stacked bar chart if you want it horizontally)

Put the chart in a dashboard, so that you can set the color attributes for the bars

Here is a simple XML example of the code snippet for a chart that should work:

<chart>
       <searchString>index="Index_name" SEARCHSTRING |stats count by host 
         | eval redCount = if(count>=11,count,0)
         | eval yellowCount = if(count<=3 AND count>=10,count,0)
         | eval greenCount = if(count<=2, count, 0)
         | fields - count</searchString>
       <title>Server Errors by Host - Last  24 hours</title>
       <earliestTime>-24h@h</earliestTime>
       <latestTime>@h</latestTime>
       <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
       <option name="charting.chart.stackMode">stacked</option>
       <option name="charting.fieldColors">{"redCount":0xFF0000,"yellowCount":0xFFFF00, "greenCount":0x73A550}</option>
       <option name="charting.legend.placement">none</option>
       <option name="charting.legend.placement">none</option>     
       <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation">90</option>  
     </chart>

Note that the last option sets the X-axis labels to print vertically on the column chart. If you prefer, you could set the charting.chart option to "bar" and then eliminate the option for charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation

0 Karma

obrosch
Path Finder

Hello mayurr98,

that helped. Thank you very much. I have to change the "<" and ">" to "<" and ">" but after that it works. Really great.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...