Splunk Dev

Can I add python modules to the Splunk environment?

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How can I add a python module that is not included in the Splunk python bundle? Specifically, I would like to use the pymssql module from within Splunk to run a scripted input.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution

amrit
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There's also a more upgrade-friendly way to accomplish this. Some of our users setup whichever script they've configured in Splunk as a pass-through to a script that runs using their system Python (with whichever custom modules they've installed).

The steps are roughly:

• configure your script in splunk (search script, scripted input, whatever)

• this script should:

• unset PYTHONPATH (in os.environ)

• perhaps unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH, depending on your environment (also in os.environ)

• create a process to run /usr/bin/python (via subprocess)

• redirect stdin, stdout, stderr to/from script2

script2 can then load any arbitrary python module installed in your system's python installation.

View solution in original post

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

Is there a step by step tutorial to accomplish this on a Linux environment?

bmacias84
Champion

As another option I would checkout this post on how to add egg file or source files while still using Splunk python rather than system. http://answers.splunk.com/answers/220196/import-non-native-python-libraries-into-splunk.html#answer-...

0 Karma

Johnvey
Contributor

Users are free to install any python module they desire. The caveats are, 1) upgrading Splunk may break them, 2) installing newer versions of packages that come with Splunk may produce unknown interaction problems.

To install a python package in splunk:

$ splunk cmd <python_install_command>

So if the package uses the setup.py method:

$ cd path_to_package_setup
$ splunk cmd python setup.py install

Or if it's an egg,

$ splunk cmd ./my-python-installer.egg

The final location of the installed modules would be:

$SPLUNK_HOME/lib/python2.6/site-packages

wollinet
Path Finder

Is that still supported with 4.1 ? I tried both ways, first one prouced errors, second one didn't produce any output and nothing was installed.

0 Karma

igor
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just use the standard way of installing modules (make sure that splunk and python are in path):
Untar pymssql-1.0.2.tar.gz
cd pymssql-1.0.2
splunk cmd python setup.py install

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...