Splunk Dev

AppInspect failing to install despite following Splunk Dev document instructions

adnankhan5133
Communicator

Hello,

I am currently running Splunk Enterprise 8.0.4 on an AWS EC2 instance, which already has Python 3.7 configured and pip-20.2.2 installed. 

Since I am planning to package and bundle our existing search app and other conf files into a private app for deployment to Splunk Cloud, I am trying to install and execute AppInspect beforehand.

I am following the instructions here, under the "Install AppInspect" section with the assumption that a virtualenv is created.  - https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/testvalidate/appinspect/splunkappinspectclitool/i...

So far, I have the AppInspect tarball downloaded and was able to successfully run the following command, which allows me to upgrade pip:

[sudo] pip3 install --upgrade pip
[sudo] pip3 install splunk-appinspect-latest.tar.gz

However, when I ran the above command to install splunk-appinspect, I get the following error: 

/bin/bash: pip3: command not found

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can proceed from here?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

adnankhan5133
Communicator
Thanks - I resolved this. It turned out to be a spacing issue after all.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That was the first of many problems I had when I tried to install AppInspect. IIRC, I resolved this problem by creating a link pip3->pip.  I eventually gave up and used the on-line tool, instead. It's at https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/testvalidate/appinspect/splunkappinspectapi/runap...

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

adnankhan5133
Communicator

Thanks @richgalloway 

I'm trying the Splunk App Inspect API approach now, but ran into the following issue after trying to authenticate. I'm using my Splunk username and password , so I'm confused as to why I'm unable to connect to the URL.

$ curl -X GET \

> -u john.smith \ --url "https://api.splunk.com/2.0/rest/login/splunk"

Enter host password for user 'john.smith':

curl: (3) Host name ' --url' contains bad letter

{"status_code":401,"status":"error","msg":"Failed to authenticate user","errors":"401 - {\"status\":3, \"message\":[{\"major\":1,\"type\":\"User Error\",\"title\":\"UNAUTHORIZED\",\"short\":\"Could not authenticate user john.smith\",\"long\":\"\",\"hint\":\"\",\"stack\":\"\",\"product\":\"App - Core\",\"

0 Karma

adnankhan5133
Communicator
Thanks - I resolved this. It turned out to be a spacing issue after all.
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please up vote the answer.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check if you password has special characters that needs to be escaped in terminal.

set passwd=yourpassword

echo $passwd

see the complete password is echoing or breaking some where.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...