Splunk Dev

(401 Unauthorized Exception)Unable to send query using java SDK

madhuinfy
Explorer

Hi,
I am connecting splunk with java sdk and trying to send a query. Its getting connected but when i am trying to send a query it behaves weirdly .Some time it gives the result but some times it gives com.splunk.HttpException: HTTP 401 -- call not properly authenticated.
The same query executes fine but most of the time it gives the above exception. I am unable to proceed further due to the above issue. Kindly help me out. Please find the below code.
ServiceArgs loginArgs = new ServiceArgs();
loginArgs.setUsername("username");
loginArgs.setPassword("password");
loginArgs.setHost("hostname");
loginArgs.setPort(8089);
Service service = Service.connect(loginArgs);
System.out.println("Connected");
String searchQuery_normal ="search index=app sourcetype=tomcat_access host=\"cglita*\" (source=\"/var/opt/tomcat/logs/saelHDcomNavAndSearchWebService/access.log\" OR source=\"/var/opt/tomcat/logs/saelHDcomProductDataWebService/access.log\" OR source=\"/var/opt/tomcat/logs/saelOnlineStoreFinder/access.log\") uri!=\"Probe\"| timechart count as \"Pageviews\", avg(response_time) as \"Response Time\" by source | tail 5 ";
JobArgs jobargs = new JobArgs();
jobargs.setExecutionMode(JobArgs.ExecutionMode.NORMAL);
jobargs.setEarliestTime("-15m@m");
jobargs.setLatestTime("now");
Job job = service.getJobs().create(searchQuery_normal,jobargs);
JobResultsArgs resultsArgs = new JobResultsArgs();
resultsArgs.setOutputMode(JobResultsArgs.OutputMode.XML);
InputStream results = job.getResults(resultsArgs);
ResultsReaderXml resultsReader=new ResultsReaderXml(results);
//ResultsReaderCsv resultsReader=new ResultsReaderCsv(results);
//ResultsReaderJson resultsReader = new ResultsReaderJson(results);
HashMap event;
System.out.println("\nFormatted results from the search job as CSV\n");
while ((event = resultsReader.getNextEvent()) != null) {
for (String key: event.keySet())
System.out.println(" " + key + ": " + event.get(key));
}
resultsReader.close();
} catch (Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace();

}
Tags (1)

madhuinfy
Explorer

Hi,
Most of the time they only start occurring after a period of time, but some times it will through in the beginning of the execution only

0 Karma

madhuinfy
Explorer

Hi,
Most of the time they only start occurring after a period of time, but some times it will through in the beginning of the execution only.

0 Karma

madhuinfy
Explorer

Hi,
There is nothing between splunkd and java client. I am just using my ldap id and password to connect to splunk. No service object is not a singleton in my code.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Is there anything on the network between your java client and splunkd that could be affecting the authentication token in the HTTP header ?Or anything in you code ?

How are you using your Service object in your code ? Singleton ?

0 Karma

madhuinfy
Explorer

splunk server is located in a remote system so i cannot see the details of server.conf. but if i login to splunk app directly and execute the query , it executes as many times as i want with out any issue. I guess there is no problem with the session time out else i would get the same error when i run the query with splunk web.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

what is the sessionTimeout value in server.conf

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Are the 401 errors interleaved with successful requests , or do they only start occurring after a period of time ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...