Splunk Dev

Why does the Free Splunk Cloud Trial give me a "500 Internal Server Error" when uploading the Splunk Tutorial Data zip file?

jonathandade

I am on a Splunk Cloud Free Trial. I downloaded (and re-downloaded) the tutorialdata.zip. Followed the tutorial called 'Upload the tutorial data'. When clicking 'submit' to begin the upload it shows the progress bar, 'completes' and disappears the upload box, but remains on the page to upload the data still.

In Chrome Dev Tools I see the form POST is returning a 500 Internal Server error for my instance 'prd-p-h3klxmlw55hd'.

Am I doing something wrong, or are there any details of what is causing the 500 I can look to address?

0 Karma

lstewart_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Jonathan
You might try this:

Change a setting in Splunk Web. Select Settings > Server settings > General settings.
In the Index settings section, change the value for the parameter "Pause indexing if free disk space (in MB) falls below" to approx. 200 MB lower. For example, if the setting is 5000, change it to 4800.

Then try uploading again.

0 Karma

jonathandade

Those options are not present (or don't appear to be) on my UI for Splunk Cloud Free Trial? Have they moved or are those options for splunk enterprise?

0 Karma

lstewart_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You are correct, those instructions are for Splunk Enterprise only.

When you say that the progress bar completes but it remains on the upload page, does it show the "Review" page or the "Done" page.

0 Karma

lstewart_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This could be a browser issue. Are you using a browser with browser extensions? If so, try opening a private browsing window (called incognito in Chrome) and accessing your Cloud instance from that window. Then try to upload the tutorialdata.zip file.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...