Deployment Architecture

why cluster master distribute an app instead of necessary conf files?

brandy81
Path Finder

Hi

According to the document here, cluster master distributes an app under indexer clustering environment.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.3/Indexer/Manageappdeployment

I think if the app dose not have index-time extraction configuration, cluster master may distribute only indexes.conf. Why dose cluster master have to distribute whole app? I believe the app should be located only on search head. Because when search runs, search-time extraction conf (props.conf and transforms.conf) would be down to peers with bundle replication. 

Could you please let me know why the docs says so? Is it best practice?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @brandy81,

as @aasabatini said (Ciao Alessandro!) there are more kinds of Apps to use in different server roles (from more infos see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.3/Admin/Whatsanapp😞

• proper Apps with dashboards only on Search Heads, these apps containg also all the search time knoledge objects and conf files;
  • Add-Ons to provide specific capabilities to assist in gathering, normalizing, and enriching data sources, that can be installed in SHs in Indexers, Heavy Forwarders, Universal Forwarders.

As I said you can create one one App containing all the objects and install it in all your Splunk Servers or create different objects for the different roles, I already described pros and cons.

If you're speaking of apps to download from Splunkbase, in the installation instructions is described which object must be instaled for each role.

Only one final question: what's the problem?

As I said i always prefer semplicity in installation, so for Splunkbase Apps i follow instructions, for custom Apps I do at most two objects (sometimes also only one!).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi  @brandy81,

if you want to deploy only one or more conf files, you can do this putting those files in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local

But anyway I always prefer to use dedicated apps to deploy conf files to Indexers to have a more control on the installation: e.g. using only one indexes.conf, you could have stanzas of different apps and I don't like it!

In addition, apps aren't specific of Search Heads, but there are also specific apps for Indexers, Heavy Forwarders, Universal Forwarders.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @brandy81,

as @aasabatini said (Ciao Alessandro!) there are more kinds of Apps to use in different server roles (from more infos see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.3/Admin/Whatsanapp😞

• proper Apps with dashboards only on Search Heads, these apps containg also all the search time knoledge objects and conf files;
  • Add-Ons to provide specific capabilities to assist in gathering, normalizing, and enriching data sources, that can be installed in SHs in Indexers, Heavy Forwarders, Universal Forwarders.

As I said you can create one one App containing all the objects and install it in all your Splunk Servers or create different objects for the different roles, I already described pros and cons.

If you're speaking of apps to download from Splunkbase, in the installation instructions is described which object must be instaled for each role.

Only one final question: what's the problem?

As I said i always prefer semplicity in installation, so for Splunkbase Apps i follow instructions, for custom Apps I do at most two objects (sometimes also only one!).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

brandy81
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

Thank you for your answer. The reason I asked this questions is recently I had to deploy an app containing props.conf and transforms.conf which configure index-time field extraction. I was wondering if I need to deploy  the app into search head or indexers.

Thank you @gcusello @aasabatini 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @brandy81,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

brandy81
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

Thank you for your answer. Let me ask further questions.

In many cases, props.conf includes index-time related configurations and search-time related configurations both. Do I have to split each conf and then deploy one with index-time config with cluster master to peers and another one with search-time config with deployer to search head cluster member?

You said apps are not specific of search head, but I believe most of app including dashboards should be deployed on Search head.

Please let me know what is the best practice for props.conf deploy. Thanks.

0 Karma

aasabatini
Motivator

Hi @brandy81 

to help you I use the example the windows app.

Generally the apps on the splunkbase are dived on two types:

• Windows app for dashboard report and visualization  to be installed on search head https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1680/
  • Add on with all parsing configurations   to be installed both indexer or search head

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/742/

the best pratices is: the technology add-ons to be installed both the splunk server (HF,Indexer and Search head)

App with dashboards and reports only on the search heads

Regards

Alessandro

“The answer is out there, Neo, and it’s looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.”
Tags (1)

brandy81
Path Finder

Hi, @aasabatini 

Thank you. In your explanation,

"Add-on with all parsing configurations to be installed both indexer and search head"

--> Is it because that add-ons have search-time configuration and index-time configuration both? As I wrote down, I think only index-time configuration should be on indexers and search-time configuration dose not need to located on indexers. Am I wrong?

As I see the answer here:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/What-are-best-practices-when-deploying-apps-across-a...

"If search time you'll want your TA's on the search head server class, if index time, the indexer class"

m bit confused.. Thanks a lot.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @brandy81,

you can follow two approaches:

• create specific Add-Ons for each kind of Splunk Server, containing only what really needs to it;
  • create global Add-Ons for all Splunk Servers.

I prefer the first, because it's optimized for the server role, but the second it's easier to maintain.

Choose the one you prefer.

In both cases,. create a complete documentation.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

aasabatini
Motivator

Hi @brandy81 

From best practices, you must also install the Technology add-ons (TA) on the indexers to be able to parse the data in index time not only in search time.
Data parsed in idex time are better, because don't consume all resources from search heads.

“The answer is out there, Neo, and it’s looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.”
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...