Deployment Architecture

multiple forwarders list monitor

rotten
Communicator

I recently set up a SuSE box with 8 4.1.7 splunk light forwarders (running on different ports, configured in different directories).

'splunk list monitor' results appear to be mangled.

I can see which files each splunk forwarder has open by looking /proc/splunk pid/fd.

However, when I run 'splunk list monitor' (with the correct PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, SPLUNK_HOME settings for a specific forwarder) I get a mix of files from all 8 forwarders.

Is that command talking to the indexer to get the information?

Tags (1)

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The splunk list monitor command should be run on individual forwarders, not the indexer. The command only lists what is being monitored on the server on which the command is run so running on the indexer will only show you the stuff that Splunk is sending to itself from the indexer to _internal.

0 Karma

amrit
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Mangled how? The "list monitor" command only shows files being monitored on the local instance (unless the command target is modified via -uri).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...