Deployment Architecture

forwarding to third party REST endpoint

vijay
Engager

Hi,

Is it possible  from Splunk universal/heavy forwarder to forward data to third party REST API endpoint over https using basic authentication ?

I have use case where Splunk universal/heavy forwarder has to forward data to Splunk enterprise + 3rd party client REST api endpoint for processing data.

Is this use case possible ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@vijay 

I want to correct first bullet point about custom setup, you can not enforce HF to store data on file it can only index the data. Hence you have to implement script on the machine where originally present. Hope it helps Appreciate if you could Accept the solution.

View solution in original post

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vijay 

Splunk docs suggest HF can forward to only TCP endpoint not to HTTP Rest API. You can find same documentation here - Forward data to third-party systems - Splunk Documentation

If you wish to do so i would do using store-and-forward model using custom script.

• Receive on HF and store the data to a file
  • write a custom script to read every line from a file and curl to Rest API either line-by-line or batch mode.
  • You can cron schedule the script to run and have a checkpoint to track where you have last read the stored file... and retry in case of target Rest API failed to receive.

---

An upvote would be appreciated & Accept solution if it helps!

0 Karma

vijay
Engager

Thanks for the help @venkatasri .

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@vijay 

I want to correct first bullet point about custom setup, you can not enforce HF to store data on file it can only index the data. Hence you have to implement script on the machine where originally present. Hope it helps Appreciate if you could Accept the solution.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...