Deployment Architecture

enabling search head on a single clustered indexer

sonicZ
Contributor

I am in a situation where we have a PROD and DR index cluster in seperate data centers.
Recently our prod index cluster has moved to an entirely new data center, The old data center will be decomissioned soon as well
So i need to enable splunkweb on one of our DR indexers so it can act as a SH and continue indexing.
I am not too worried about performance as search will just be needed on the rare occasion.

If anyone could advise will regular migration steps work?
- copy old prod SH config (apps/users/) to indexer directory
- enable splunkweb

One prod index cluster
-5 indexers
-2 clustered SH
-1 master(for cluster HA)

One DR index cluster
-4 indexers
-1 master

0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

A Cluster Master is always a SH, although recommendation is not to use it as one
If you need only occasional/light use of it you could 'get away' with using the CM.
Obviously, this is not a recommendation for prod, but in a pinch...

Copy your apps/users as you have said, but you might want to disable any scheduled searches that run in your apps if you are just using it for ad-hoc searching

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

nickhills
Ultra Champion

A Cluster Master is always a SH, although recommendation is not to use it as one
If you need only occasional/light use of it you could 'get away' with using the CM.
Obviously, this is not a recommendation for prod, but in a pinch...

Copy your apps/users as you have said, but you might want to disable any scheduled searches that run in your apps if you are just using it for ad-hoc searching

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

sonicZ
Contributor

Hmm, that might be a last ditch option a bit leery using the cluster master since it was a very minimal VM resource wise.
Actually i found a couple of VM's i may just end up using, splunk support replied and said using a indexer as a SH in a cluster is not supported anymore.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...