Deployment Architecture

enable deployment monitor in search head or indexer

kml_uvce
Builder

I am planning to created deployment enviorment in splunk. And will use these phases in time

1) one search head and one indexer in deployment enviorment
2) one serach heads and two indexers in deployment enviorment
3) two search heads(with pooling) and two or three indexers in deployment enviorment

I have to install deployment monitor in all 3 diffrent phases but where I should install it in serach head or indexers also please explain me the reason.

0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

The short answer is that you should enable it on the search heads in 1) and 2), for 3) you should enable it on one of the search heads, since pooling will make it available to the other search head.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Deploy/Startthedeploymentmonitor

UPDATE:

Not sure what you mean by 'phase', but there is a difference between Deployment Monitor and Deployment Server.

Deployment Server will listen to incoming requests from Deployment Clients and serve them with configurations.

Deployment Monitor will look at _internal index(es) on the Indexers it's connected to in order to determine the overall health of the environment.

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

The short answer is that you should enable it on the search heads in 1) and 2), for 3) you should enable it on one of the search heads, since pooling will make it available to the other search head.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Deploy/Startthedeploymentmonitor

UPDATE:

Not sure what you mean by 'phase', but there is a difference between Deployment Monitor and Deployment Server.

Deployment Server will listen to incoming requests from Deployment Clients and serve them with configurations.

Deployment Monitor will look at _internal index(es) on the Indexers it's connected to in order to determine the overall health of the environment.

Hope this helps,

Kristian

0 Karma

jgedeon120
Contributor

Is the deployment server a dedicated deployment server or running on the search head? If so have you enabled forwarding to your indexers so that they receive the information?

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

see update above. /k

0 Karma

kml_uvce
Builder

That I know , but what I want to know If i will enable deployment server in indexer in all diffrent 3 phases then what is the problem ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...